Skip Ribbon Commands Skip to main content
Home > Help and advice > Sending financial aid overseas

Sending financial aid overseas

There are many legal ways to support people in overseas, including donating funds to legitimate organisations, or directly to your family and friends. However, it is unlawful to provide financial support to organisations participating in conflicts or to terrorist organisations in general.

It is your responsibility to ensure that your money is donated to a legitimate individual or organisation, and the following points are intended to assist you in this process.

  • Send money to trusted family and friends or to reputable humanitarian organisations.
  • Always research humanitarian organisations and other potential recipients before sending your money. You should find out where the funds will go and how they will be used.
  • Never leave the description on your donation form blank, and never agree to transfer money for someone else.
  • Always use recognised financial institutions such as banks or registered remitters for financial transactions.
  • If you’re carrying AUD$10,000 or more out of Australia, or an equivalent amount in another currency, you must declare it. If you don't declare it, you could face criminal proceedings. For more information on how to declare, visit the ABF website.

If you are unsure where to donate funds, read over the following information:

  • Contribute to an appeal page on the Australian Council for International Development website
  • Support to emergency relief efforts worldwide – How to give page on the  United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs website
  • Visit the website of the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission and search the charity register

Legal information for non-profit organisations sending financial aid overseas

Non-profit organisations must comply with Australian legal obligations and have measures in place to reduce the risk of terrorism financing.